Our spring winds are notorious for causing allergies to flair up in most Albuquerque residents. We may not be able to stop the weather, but check out these tips to help when the spring winds bring allergies in New Mexico.
Seasonal allergies symptoms include itchy eyes, a congested nose, sneezing, wheezing, coughing, and hives. One of the most common seasonal allergies in New Mexico is the juniper allergy. Twenty to 30 percent of the population is allergic to juniper. Seasonal allergies will affect people at the time of year when certain pollen are at their highest levels.
Reducing exposure to allergens such as pollen is the best way to lighten the symptoms for a person with seasonal allergies looking for relief.
- Wash the pollen away and keep it away every day.
- Keep windows closed to reduce how much pollen enters your home, car or work place.
- Take off your shoes when you go inside. This will cut down on bringing in pollen and dust into your house.
- Wash your hands and rinse your face often. Pollen settles easily onto the skin, and your hands and face most are often are exposed.
- Take a shower after being outside during pollination seasons.
- Bathe before going to bed and wash your hair because pollen can easily settle on skin and be trapped in hair.
- Frequently bathe pets that go in and out of the house because pets can carry pollen in their fur and hair.
Plan your day.
Clean your home, car, and office/workplace:
- Dust frequently with a damp cloth and use vacuum machine with a HEPA filter. In addition to vacuuming your floors, you should also clean upholstered furniture such as couches, chairs and car seats.
- Spring clean in the spring, summer and autumn. Wash the walls, countertops, desks and other surfaces regularly.
- Replace the filters in your heating (furnace) and cooling systems (air conditioner or swamp cooler).
- Have your air ducts cleaned. Dust and allergens can gather here and blow throughout your home.
- Wash your bedding. While it is common to wash and change bed sheets weekly, if you have seasonal allergies you should also wash all bedding such as blankets, comforters, and bedspreads.
- Wash household items made of fabric such as table, throw rugs, and curtains.
- Use mattress and pillow covers.
- With so many sunny days in New Mexico it may be tempting to dry your clothes, towels and bed sheets on an outdoor clothesline. Avoid doing this during pollination season of the trees, grasses or weeds.
- How long is your commute to work or school? You may not realize how much time you spend in your car. It is important to vacuum clean your car or truck frequently and wipe all surfaces with a damp cloth.
- Wash clothes that you wear everyday such a windbreakers, light jackets, sweatshirts and sweaters.
Contact Albuquerque Plumbing Heating & Cooling to help rid your home of allergens this allergy season.