This week has been colder than previous weeks. In fact, I’d say so far this winter has been pretty mild and not that cold. But this week has been downright frosty!
Of course, cold weather is part of winter, but it plays a part in the plumbing world. Do you remember the crazy winter storm that went through Texas a year or two ago, and the many homeowners who had busted pipes from the weather? It shows that pipes can break just about anywhere under the right conditions.
If you’re worried about your pipes freezing this winter, you’re probably wondering what you can do to protect your pipes. The Red Cross gave some helpful tips:
- Drain the water from your swimming pool or irrigation system.
- Remove hoses from the hose bib, drain the water and then store the hoses. Also, try to drain water from the line attached to the hose bib.
- Add insulation to attics, basements and crawl spaces (believe it or not, we have those here in New Mexico). Insulation can help your home to retain its heat.
- Consider adding insulation to pipes in your garage, or even under your sinks inside your house.
Prevent Frozen Pipes
Now if you’re interested in some other ways to try and prevent your pipes from freezing, the Red Cross had some tips there too:
- Keep the garage door closed if you have any water supply lines in there.
- Open kitchen and bathroom cabinets to allow the warm air from your home to help warm the pipes under your sinks.
- You can leave faucets open to drip on very cold days to keep the water moving in the pipes. This can help prevent the pipes from freezing.
Now, if your pipes freeze and then break due to the cold weather, turn off the water to your house if you have access to the main water shutoff valve. If you don’t have one, you will need to contact the water company immediately for help in turning off the water to your home.
After everything is turned off, it might be worthwhile to have a professional plumbing company, like Albuquerque Plumbing Heating & Cooling, come to your house to install a main water shutoff valve or repair those busted pipes. We have the skilled and experienced team members to help you this winter with your plumbing emergencies day and night! Call our office at
phone (505) 349-4404 today for reliable help from a quality company.
If you’re looking for fast and reliable plumbing and drain cleaning services, then check out our services in the following locations:
- • Albuquerque drain cleaning
- • Bosque Farms drain cleaning
- • Corrales drain cleaning
- • Los Ranchos drain cleaning
- • Placitas drain cleaning
- • Rio Rancho drain cleaning
Check out the 5-star Antioch plumbers with our friends at Service Pros Plumbers in California! Learn more about their services from one of the locations linked below: