We're Hiring! Click here to Apply

Simple Safety Tips Regarding Carbon Monoxide

While many homeowners today make it a top priority to have fire and smoke detectors installed, some overlook the importance of carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide is a tasteless, odorless and invisible gas that can cause serious medical problems for occupants of a building. In fact, excessive exposure to carbon monoxide can eventually cause unconsciousness and eventually death. This is an insidious hazard that should not be underestimated.

It Is Better To Call Any Time You Are Unsure

Anytime a homeowner suspects that there may be a gas leak or believes that there may be carbon monoxide present in their home, there are a few important steps that should be taken. For example, one of the first steps is to call the gas company to report a potential or possible leak. It is better to call any time you are unsure than it is to be involved in some type of carbon monoxide related event. In most instances, technicians or gas company professionals will perform a safety inspection and test to determine if gas appliances or lines are leaking.

Defective Appliances Or Unsafe Insulation

Anytime an unsafe situation is detected with regard to carbon monoxide, technicians or gas company representatives will disconnect an appliance and turn off the gas line as a way to stop the flow of gas. Carbon monoxide is known to originate from several areas within a typical residential home. This includes the use of an open or unvented heater as well as a cracked or restricted furnace firebox. In addition, when insufficient air is an issue with regard to the burning of gas, carbon monoxide can be a direct result. Equally of concern is when defective appliances or unsafe insulation are present.

Change Batteries At Regular Intervals Just As Is Done With A Fire Alarm

Finally, when venting is improper, blocked or restricted in some way, carbon monoxide can accumulate in a typical residential home. As an added note, those who do have a carbon monoxide detector or multiple detectors in their home should make it a point to change batteries at regular intervals just as is done with a fire alarm or smoke detector. Play it safe and always stay proactive with regard to carbon monoxide detection and avoidance. Contact Albuquerque Plumbing Heating & Cooling today to learn more about Albuquerque plumbing services and carbon monoxide detection devices.

laptop Request Appointment Close disabled_by_default