Sometimes a forgotten part of home safety, knowing the silent dangers of carbon monoxide awareness, could save lives… including your own.
We’ve said it before, and we’ll say it again: Carbon monoxide safety is a very important part of home security. It’s something to be taken seriously, but not feared. With some basic guidelines and general knowledge of the subject, you and your home can be carbon monoxide safe.
WHAT IS CARBON MONOXIDE?
- Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas that can be fatal when inhaled. It is only detectable with a specific carbon monoxide alarm.
WHERE DOES CARBON MONOXIDE COME FROM?
- Carbon monoxide is generated whenever fuel is burned and is the byproduct of combustion.
- Sources are numerous including: furnaces, any appliance that uses gas, water heater, portable fuel-burning space heaters, fireplaces, generators, wood burning stoves, and vehicles.
WHAT CAN YOU DO TO STAY SAFE?
- Properly equip your home with carbon monoxide alarms on every level and in sleeping areas. The only safe way to detect CO in your home is with a CO alarm.
- Every year have the heating system, vents, chimney and flue inspected by a qualified technician.
- Never use a gas range/stove to heat the home.
- Never leave your car idling in a closed garage or use fuel-powered appliances or tools in enclosed, attached areas such as garages or porches. Carbon monoxide can seep into your home through vents and doors.
Albuquerque Plumbing, Heating & Cooling offers a residential inspection service that would include many of the recommendations listed above. Our certified technicians can walk through your home with you, make suggestions to increase safety, and perform any service as needed. We want your home to be a safe, comfortable place for you and your family. Please let us know how and when we can help!
Call (505) 349-4404 today to schedule our residential inspection service!