Houses are complex pieces of construction. An empty room may look simple, you see nothing more than 4 blank white walls, but there is a lot going on under the surface you may not be aware off. The inside of your walls is packed full of framing, insulation, plumbing, and electrical wiring. Like the rest of your home, all of these things require maintenance, or they can fall into disrepair, and potentially cause hazardous conditions.
Electrical wiring is hidden from site, but you rely on it on a daily basis. Bedroom lights, appliances, televisions, computers, cellphone chargers, are all absolutely reliant on your home electrical wiring. If your home was built more than 40 years ago it may be time to check on the condition of your wiring. Even if you own a newer home, but did not oversee its construction, you may want to take a peek. Wires can fray, wiring insulation can degrade, and hazardous situations can develop.
According to a 2009 study conducted by the National Fire Prevention Association, faulty wiring was the leading cause of residential fires in the United States. Fires can spark inside the walls of your home and start spreading long before you may ever notice. By the time you see smoke, it may already be too late to save your home.
The best way to keep your home wiring from degrading and reaching such dangerous conditions is to be aware of the potential warning signs. Old wiring can cause fuses to blow and breakers to trip on a regular basis. Lights which habitual dim and flicker may be trying to warn you about faulty wiring. Have you ever gotten a tingling sensation when touching a wall switch or electrical outlet? That is likely a sign of frayed wiring. If you detect any of these issues in your home, it is best to call a qualified electrician and schedule an inspection immediately.