Learning About Mold and Mildew

Home maintenance never seems to end! There are always little problems popping up here and there. Some problems are minor. They can be put off or ignored for a little while. Other problems are major and need to be addressed immediately. Mold and mildew is an example of the latter. Mold and mildew can cause major health problems and even permanently damage your home.

The Problems with Mold and Mildew

The odds are you nave nothing to worry about. Most common types of mold and mildew will only cause allergic reactions. You may also experience a worsening of respiratory issues such as asthma. However, in rare cases, mold could be potentially life threatening. Some forms of mold give off deadly spores which could permanently damage your lungs or even find their way into your brain! Mold can also deeply root itself in your home causing potentially thousands of dollars in damage.

Causes of Mold and Mildew

Mold and mildew both required moisture to grow. They love water more than anything. Leaks are one of the leading causes of mold and mildew growth in the home. Even a slow, subtle leak can cause massive mold growth over time. Humidity another major factor contributing to mold growth. It is recommended that indoor humidity should be kept around 30 percent.

Common Misconceptions

There is a lot of misinformation and confusion passed around regarding the subject of mold and mildew. Many people believe that mold and mildew can only grow on soft, organic material like paper, wood or carpeting. In reality, mold can grow almost anywhere, including on surfaces like glass or metal. Additionally, some homeowners believe that they are done combating mold once they clean it off of a surface. Mold and mildew spores can persist in the air long after a cleanup. It is important to stay vigilant even after you have clean up mold or mildew. Regulate humidity and moisture while maintaining good air circulation throughout your home.

laptop Request Appointment